Find a manual »
Jeep Grand Cherokee Repair Manual 2005-2009
This repair and service manual covers Jeep Grand Cherokee, all models with 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8, 5.7L V8 Hemi, and 6.1L V8 Hemi (SRT-8 only) gasoline engines, 2005 thru 2009.
Note: this manual does not include information specific to diesel engine models.
FUEL PUMP/FUEL PRESSURE - CHECK
WARNING: Gasoline is extremely flammable. See Section 1.
1. The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank, which muffles its sound when the engine is running. But you can actually hear the fuel pump. Turn the ignition key to ON (not START) and listen carefully for the soft whirring sound made by the fuel pump as it's briefly turned on by the PCM to pressurize the fuel system prior to starting the engine.
You will only hear the soft whirring sound for a second or two, but that sound tells you that the pump is working. If you can't hear the pump from inside the vehicle, remove the fuel filler cap and have an assistant turn the ignition switch to ON while you listen for the sound of the pump.
If the pump does not come on when the ignition key is turned to ON, check the fuel pump fuses and relay, both of which are located in the Power Distribution Center (see illustration 2.2).
If the fuse and relay are okay, check the wiring back to the fuel pump (see Section 5 if you need help locating the fuel pump electrical connector). If the fuse, relay and wiring are okay, the fuel pump is probably defective.
If the pump runs continuously with the ignition key in its ON position, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is probably defective. Have the PCM checked by a dealer service department or other qualified repair shop.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Introduction: Vehicle identification numbers. Buying parts. Safety. Maintenance techniques. Chemical and lubricants, and more.
Subject: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 156392806X | ISBN-13: 9781563928062
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8 engines
- 5.7L V8, 6.1L V8 Hemi engines
- General engine overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Automatic transmission
- Transfer case
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
- Publisher: Haynes Manuals
- Pages: 288 - Hundreds of b&w photos and illustrations
- Binding: Paperback - 8.5 x 10 inches
- ISBN: 978-1-56392-806-2