The 1985-2007 Honda VT1100 Shadow Repair Manual by Haynes, covers the following motorcycle models:
Book Excerpt: 1985-2007 Honda VT1100 Shadow Repair Manual
- Honda VT1100C Shadow, 1985-1990 & 1992-1996
- Honda VT1100C2 Shadow American Classic Edition (ACE), 1995-1999
- Honda VT1100D2 Shadow American Classic Edition (ACE), 1995-1999
- Honda VT1100C Shadow Spirit, 1997-2007
- Honda VT1100T Shadow ACE Tourer, 1998-2001
- Honda VT1100C3 Shadow Aero, 1982-2002
- Honda VT1100C2 Shadow Sabre, 2000-2007
FUEL AND EXHAUST SYSTEMS
IDLE FUEL/AIR MIXTURE | ADJUSTMENT
- Because of emissions regulations of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and the regulatory bodies of some state governments as well, the idle fuel/air mixture is a critical adjustment.
In order to comply with these regulations, each carburetor has a sealing plug in the pilot screw hole to prevent tampering. These plugs should only be removed during a complete carburetor overhaul, after which the screws must be returned to their original settings.
- If you replaced the pilot screws during a carburetor overhaul, adjust the idle fuel/air mixture as follows. Make sure that the carburetors are synchronized (see Chapter 1) before proceeding.
- Remove each pilot screw plug, if necessary (see Steps 9 and 10 in Section 13).
- Turn each pilot screw clockwise until it seats lightly, and then back it out to the initial opening listed in this Chapter's Specifications.
Caution: Do NOT overtighten the pilot screw; overtightening it will damage it.
- Start the engine and warm itup to its normal operating temperature.
SIDESTAND SWITCH | CHECK AND REPLACEMENT
Note: This procedure applies to VT1100C2, VT1100T and 1997-on VT1100C models.
- Remove the left side cover (see Chapter 8), the battery (see Section 3) and the battery holder (see illustration 17.1).
- The wires in the sidestand switch circuit are green/white, yellow/black and green. The electrical connector is a red three-pin connector (see illustration). Unplug the connector.
- Connect the leads of an ohmmeter to the terminals for the indicated wire colors.
- With the sidestand in the down position, there should be continuity between the terminals for the yellow/black and green wires.
- With the sidestand in the up position, there should be continuity between the terminals for the green/white and green wires.
- If the sidestand switch fails either of these tests, replace it.
- Disconnect the electrical connector for the sidestand switch, if you haven't already done so (see Steps 1 and 2).
- Remove the sidestand switch bolt and remove the switch.
Subject: 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Honda VT1100 Shadow Spirit, ACE, ACE Tourer, Aero, Sabre service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563927934 | ISBN-13: 9781563927935 | Haynes 2313