This Chilton repair and service 1967-1986 Chevrolet, GMC 1/2, 3/4, 1 Ton Vans, all U.S. and Canadian models. Includes Cutaway and Motor Home Chassis, with gasoline and diesel engines.
This is the perfect reference and repair guide for the do-it-yourself mechanic working on his Chevy or GMC van in his own garage. Hundreds of sharp, close-up photos and illustrations show you how to take care of your vehicle.
Book Excerpt: 1967-1986 Chevrolet, GMC 1/2, 3/4 and 1-Ton Van Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
CAMSHAFT | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
BODY AND TRIM | REAR DOORS
INLINE SIX CYLINDER ENGINES
- Remove the grille. Remove the radiator hoses and remove the radiator.
- Remove the timing gear.
- Remove the valve cover and gasket, loosen all the rocket arm nuts, and pivot the rocker arms clear of the pushrods.
- Remove the distributor and the fuel pump.
- Remove the pushrods. Remove the coil and then remove the side cover. Remove the valve lifters.
- Remove the two camshaft thrust plate retaining screws by working through the holes in the camshaft gear.
- Remove the camshaft and gear assembly by pulling it out through the front of the block.
- If either the camshaft or the camshaft gear is being renewed, the gear must be pressed off the camshaft. The replacement parts must be assembled in the same way. When placing the gear on the camshaft, press the gear onto the shaft until it bottoms against the gear spacer ring. The end clearance of the thrust plate should be 0.001-0.005 in. (0.0254-0.127mm).
- Prelube the camshaft lobes with clean engine oil and then install the camshaft assembly in the engine. Be careful not to damage the bearings.
- Turn the crankshaft and the camshaft gears so that the timing marks align. Push the camshaft into position and install and torque the thrust plate bolts to 7 ft. lb. (9Nm). (continued.)
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
TABLE of CONTENTS:
(See Figure 11)
- Open the door, remove the door trim panel and disconnect the electrical wiring harness (if equipped). Then mark the position of the door on the hinges using a wax pencil.
- Remove the hinge hole plugs on the body side pillar.
- Remove the strap pin from the bracket, then remove the snapring from the pin, and pull the pin.
- Support the door safely, and remove the hinge to body pillar bolts.
- Remove the door from the vehicle.
- Remove the hinge door bolts.
- Remove the hinges from the door.
- Remove the retainers, seals, and grommets from the door or the hinges.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Make sure to align the hinges with the previously made marks.
Introduction: About this manual | Introduction | Vehicle identification numbers | Maintenance techniques, tools and working facilities | Buying parts | Jacking and towing | Booster battery (jump) starting | Conversion factors | Automotive chemicals and lubricants | Safety first! | Troubleshooting
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- Engine and overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
Subject: , 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986 Chevrolet, GMC 1/2, 3/4, 1 Ton Van service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801989779 | ISBN-13: 9780801989773 | Chilton 28640