This repair and service manual covers Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable, all U.S. and Canadian models including SHO, 1986-1995.
Book Excerpt: 1986-1995 Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
STARTER | TESTING
Before removing the starter for repair or replacement, check the condition of all circuit wiring for damage. Inspect all connections to the starter motor, relay, ignition switch, and battery, including all ground connections. Clean and tighten all connections as required.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
1988-91 VEHICLES | ALL 2.5L AND 3.0L MODELS; 3.8L SEDAN
(See Figures 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20)
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and the cable connection at the starter.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the cable support and ground cable connection from the upper starter stud bolt.
- If equipped, remove the starter brace from the cylinder block and the starter.
- On 2.5L engines, remove the three starter to bell housing bolts. On 3.0L engines, remove the two starter to bell housing bolts.
- On vehicles equipped with an automatic transaxle, remove the starter between the subframe and the radiator. For vehicles equipped with a manual transaxle, remove the starter between the subframe and the engine.
- Position the starter, and then secure using the retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 15-20 ft. lbs. (20-27 Nm).
- If applicable, install the starter brace to the cylinder block and starter.
FUEL INJECTION SUPPLY MANIFOLD
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION | 3.0L ENGINE - EXCEPT SHO
(See Figure 43)
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, and then properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Remove the throttle body. For details, please refer to the procedure located earlier in this section.
- On unleaded gasoline vehicles only:
- Scribe an alignment mark on the base of the distributor and the intake manifold.
- Remove the hold down clamp, and then lift the distributor enough to allow the fuel injection supply manifold to clear the distributor and intake manifold.
Subject: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801986877 | ISBN-13: 9780801986871 | Chilton 26700
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Introduction: About this manual | Introduction | Vehicle identification numbers | Maintenance techniques, tools and working facilities | Buying parts | Jacking and towing | Anti-theft audio system | Booster battery (jump) starting | Conversion factors | Automotive chemicals and lubricants | Safety first! | Troubleshooting
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- Engine and overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams