Find a manual »
Cadillac DeVille, Eldorado, Fleetwood, Seville Repair Manual 1967-1989
This Chilton DIY repair and service manual covers 1967-1989 Cadillac cars, all U.S. and Canadian models, including:
- Cadillac DeVille, 1967-1989
- Cadillac Eldorado, 1967-1989
- Cadillac Fleetwood, 1967-1989
- Cadillac Seville, 1967-1989
Book Excerpt: 1967-1989 Cadillac DeVille, Eldorado, Fleetwood, Seville Repair Manual
ENGINE PERFORMANCE AND TUNE-UP
(See Figures 40, 41, 42, 43 and 44)
Ignition timing is the measurement, in degrees of crankshaft rotation, of the point at which the spark plugs fire in each of the cylinders. It is measured in degrees before or after Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke.
Because it takes a fraction of a second for the spark plug to ignite the mixture in the cylinder, the spark plug must fire a little before the piston reaches TDC. Otherwise, the mixture will not be completely ignited as the piston passes TDC and the full power of the explosion will not be used by the engine.
The timing measurement is given in degrees of crankshaft rotation before the piston reaches TDC (BTDC). If the setting for the ignition timing is 5 degrees BTDC, the spark plug must fire 5 degrees before each piston reaches TDC. This only holds true, however, when the engine is at idle speed.
As the engine speed increases, the pistons go faster. The spark plugs have to ignite the fuel even sooner if it is to be completely ignited when the piston reaches TDC. To do this, the distributor has various means of advancing the timing of the spark as the engine speed increases.
On older vehicles, this is accomplished by centrifugal weights within the distributor and a vacuum diaphragm mounted on the side of the distributor. Newer models are equipped with EST and all spark timing changes are controlled electronically.
SUSPENSION AND STEERING
FRONT KNUCKLE, HUB AND BEARING ASSEMBLY
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
FRONT WHEEL DRIVE MODELS | THROUGH 1985
(See Figures 33 and 34)
NOTE: The 1980-1985 Sevilles and the Eldorados through 1985 use sealed wheel bearings which require no adjustment or lubrication.
- Remove hub cap, loosen wheel nuts, remove drive axle cotter pin and loosen drive axle nut.
- Jack up car and place jackstands under lower control arms.
- Remove axle nut, and then remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove brake hose and caliper.
NOTE: Matchmark disc and hub, and then remove the disc.
- Remove the upper ball joint cotter pin and loosen stud nut.
- Strike steering knuckle near upper joint to separate it from taper.
- Cover the lower control arm torsion bar connector with a short piece of rubber hose to avoid damaging the inboard tri-pot joint seal when the hub and knuckle are removed.
- Remove tie rod end cotter pin and nut.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Subject: 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989 Cadillac DeVille, Eldorado, Fleetwood, Seville service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801985870 | ISBN-13: 9780801985874 | Chilton 28260
- Introduction: Vehicle identification numbers. Buying parts. Safety. Maintenance techniques. Chemical and lubricants, and more.
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- 250 ci V8 (DFI)
- 273 ci V8 (DFI)
- 252 ci 6-cylinder
- 307 ci V8
- 350 ci V8 (EFI)
- 350 ci V8 (diesel)
- 368 ci V8
- 368 ci V8 (DFI)
- 425 ci V8
- 425 ci V8 (EFI)
- 429 ci V8
- 472 ci V8
- 500 ci V8
- 500 ci V8 (EFI)
- General engine overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Automatic transmission
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
- Publisher: Chilton Manuals
- Pages: 328 - Hundreds of b&w photos and illustrations
- Binding: Paperback - 8.25 x 10.75 inches
- ISBN: 978-0-8019-8587-4