Find a manual »
Toyota Corolla Repair Manual 1970-1987
1970-1987 Toyota Corolla repair manual by Chilton covers U.S.A. and Canada models.
Complete maintenance, service and repair information for the Toyota Corolla automobile owner.
Easy-to-follow text instructions accompanied by hundereds of clear photos and illustrations guide you through repair and service procedures, so you can fix your Corolla like a professional, without the expense.
Book Excerpt: 1970-1987 Toyota Corolla Repair Manual
ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
ENGINE TIMING COVER (FRONT COVER)
Only the K-series and T-series engines covered by this manual utilize a timing chain (instead of a belt). The timing chain is run wet (oiled) and therefore the timing cover is also the engine front cover in the sense that it seals the front of the crankcase. On the 1C-L diesel engine and on all A-series engines, a timing belt is utilized.
When a timing belt is used it is normally run dry, therefore the timing cover is NOT the seal for the front of the engine crankcase. On engines utilizing a timing belt, an oil pump body/front cover is mounted behind the timing belt and is used to seal the front of the crankcase.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Except 1C-L and A-Series Engines
(See Figures 126 and 127)
- Drain the engine cooling system from the radiator, and then drain the engine oil from the crankcase.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, and then disconnect the positive cable. If necessary, remove the battery.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly, complete with hoses, from its bracket.
- Remove the hood latch as well as its brace and support.
- Remove the headlight bezels and grille assembly.
- Unfasten the upper and lower radiator hose clamps, and then remove both of the hoses from the engine.
- Unfasten the radiator securing bolts and remove the radiator.
NOTE: Take off the shroud first, if so equipped.
- Loosen the drive belt adjusting link and remove the drive belt. Unfasten the alternator multi-connector, withdraw the retaining bolts, and remove the alternator.
CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
(See Figures 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 and 60)
IMPORTANT! Do not spill brake fluid on painted surfaces of the vehicle.
- Raise the front of the car and support it with jackstands. Be sure that it is supported securely.
- If necessary, remove the rear gravel shield to gain access to the release cylinder.
- Remove the clutch fork return spring.
- Unfasten the hydraulic line from the release cylinder by removing its retaining nut.
- Screw in the threaded end of the pushrod.
- Remove the release cylinder retaining nuts and remove the cylinder.
NOTE: We recommend replacement of the master and clutch slave cylinder as an assembly (one can be replaced without the other) for proper reliability and performance.
- Installation is performed in the reverse order of removal. Adjust the pushrod free-play and bleed the hydraulic system.
(See Figure 61)
- Remove the pushrod assembly and the rubber boot.
- Withdraw the piston, complete with its cup; don't remove the cup unless it is being replaced.
- Wash all parts in brake fluid.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Introduction: About this manual | Introduction | Vehicle identification numbers | Maintenance techniques, tools and working facilities | Buying parts | Jacking and towing | Anti-theft audio system | Booster battery (jump) starting | Conversion factors | Automotive chemicals and lubricants | Safety first! | Troubleshooting
Subject: 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987 Toyota Corolla service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801985862 | ISBN-13: 9780801985867 | Chilton 68300
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- Engine and overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
- Publisher: Chilton Manuals
- Pages: 294 - Hundreds of b&w photos and illustrations
- Binding: Paperback - 8.5 x 11 inches
- ISBN: 978-0-8019-8586-7