Find a manual »
Chevrolet Equinox, Pontiac Torrent Repair Manual 2005-2009
This Chilton repair and service manual covers Chevy Equinox 2005-2009 and Pontiac Torrent 2006-2009. All US and Canadian models, including AWD.
Book Excerpt: 2005-2009 Chevy Equinox, Pontiac Torrent Repair Manual
This part of Chapter 2 is devoted to in-vehicle repair procedures for the 3.6L V6 engine. Information concerning engine removal and installation and overhaul can be found in Part C of this Chapter.
Since the repair procedures included in this Part are based on the assumption the engine is still in the vehicle, if they are being used during a complete engine overhaul (with the engine already removed from the vehicle and on a stand) many of the steps included here will not apply.
The engine utilizes an aluminum block with cast-iron sleeves. The six cylinders are arraigned in a É??VÉ?Ě shape at a 60-degree angle between the two banks. The cylinder heads utilize a twin overhead camshaft arrangement with four valves per cylinder. Variable cam timing is used via adjustable camshaft drive sprockets controlled by the Powertrain Control Module. The engine uses aluminum cylinder heads with powdered metal guides and valve seats. Hydraulic lash adjusters negate the need for valve adjustments and roller rocker arms actuate the valves. The oil pump is mounted at the front of the engine behind the timing chain cover and is driven by the crankshaft.
REPAIR OPERATIONS POSSIBLE WITH THE ENGINE IN THE VEHICLE
Many major repairs operations can be accomplished without removing the engine from the vehicle.
Clean the engine compartment and the exterior of the engine with some type of pressure washer before any work is done. A clean engine will make the job easier and will help keep dirt out of the internal areas of the engine.
If oil or coolant leaks develop, indicating a need for a gasket or seal replacement, the repairs can generally be made with the engine in the vehicle. The oil pan gasket, the cylinder head gasket, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, timing chain cover gaskets and the crankshaft oil seals are all accessible with the engine in place.
AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Refer to illustrations 7.16 and 7.19
- Remove the battery and battery tray (see Chapter 5).
- Remove the shift cable bracket. Disconnect the shift cable (see Section 4).
- Disconnect all wiring from the transaxle and transfer case (if so equipped). This includes ground wires, the transaxle range switch, the transaxle speed sensors and the transaxle control module.
- Detach the fuel line retainer from the transaxle. Disconnect the transaxle and transfer case vent tubes.
- Use wire to tie the radiator, fan module and condenser to the support structure so they can remain with the vehicle when the transaxle is lowered.
- Install an engine support fixture and connect the chains solidly to the lifting brackets on top of the engine.
NOTE: Engine support fixtures are available at most equipment rental yards.
- Remove the uppermost transaxle-to-engine mounting bolts.
- With the weight of the engine and transaxle supported by the fixture, remove the drivers-side transaxle mount.
- Loosen the front wheel lug nuts and the drive axle/hub nuts, then raise the vehicle and support it securely on jack stands.
- Drain the transaxle fluid (see Chapter 1).
- Remove the front wheels and the inner fender splash shields (see Chapter 11).
- Remove the pinch bolt from the lower steering shaft. Throw the bolt away- it will have to be replaced with a new one. Disconnect the steering shaft from the steering gear.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Introduction: About this manual | Introduction | Vehicle identification numbers | Maintenance techniques, tools and working facilities | Buying parts | Jacking and towing | Booster battery (jump) starting | Conversion factors | Automotive chemicals and lubricants | Safety first! | Recall information | Troubleshooting
Subject: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Chevy Equinox, Pontiac Torrent service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 1563928108 | ISBN-13: 9781563928109
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- 3.4L V6 engine
- 3.6L V6 engine
- General engine overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions and engine control systems
- Automatic 5- and 6-speed transaxle
- Transfer case
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
- Publisher: Chilton Manuals
- Pages: 324 - Hundreds of b&w photos and illustrations
- Binding: Paperback - 8.5 x 11 inches
- ISBN: 978-1-56392-810-9