The BMW R1200 DIY repair and service manual by Haynes, covers motorcycles powered by an 1170cc horizontally-opposed, two-cylinder engine, known as the K2x. Models covered in this repair manual include:
Book Excerpt: 2004-2009 BMW R1200 Repair Manual
- BMW R1200GS, 2004-2009
- BMW R1200GS Adventure, 2006-2009
- BMW R1200ST, 2005-2007
- BMW R1200RT, 2005-2009
- BMW R1200S, 2006-2008
- BMW R1200R, 2007-2009
ROUTINE MAINTENANCE & SERVICING
- This Chapter is designed to help the home mechanic maintain his/her motorcycle for safety, economy, long life and peak performance.
- Deciding where to start or plug into the maintenance schedule depends on several factors. If the warranty period on your motorcycle has just expired, and if it has been maintained according to the warranty standards, you may want to pick up routine maintenance as it coincides with the next mileage or calendar interval.
If you have owned the machine for some time but have never performed any maintenance on it, then you may want to start at the nearest interval and include some additional procedures to ensure that nothing important is overlooked. If you have just had a major engine overhaul, then you may want to start the maintenance routine from the beginning.
If you have a used machine and have no knowledge of its history or maintenance record, you may desire to combine all the checks into one large service initially and then settle into the maintenance schedule prescribed.
- Before beginning any maintenance or repair, the machine should be cleaned thoroughly, especially around the oil filter, spark plugs, valve covers, side panels, etc. Cleaning will help ensure that dirt does not contaminate the engine and will allow you to detect wear and damage that could otherwise easily go unnoticed.
- Certain maintenance information is printed on labels attached to the motorcycle. If the information on the labels differs from that included here, use the information on the label.
- Many of the bolts used on R1200 series BMW motorcycles are of the Torx type. Unless you are already equipped with a good range of Torx bits, you are advised to obtain a set. Make sure you get bits that can be used in conjunction with a socket set so that a torque wrench can be applied - a Torx key set will not be adequate on its own, though will be useful in addition to the bits.
The engine unit is an air/oil-cooled, horizontally-opposed twin. There are four valves per cylinder, each operated by a single camshaft via followers, pushrods and rockers.
The camshafts are located in the cylinder heads and are chain driven off the auxillary shaft, which in turn is driven by chain off the crankshaft. The auxiliary shaft runs at half crankshaft speed. The engine incorporates a balancer shaft.
The separate engine and gearbox cases are constructed from aluminum alloy. The engine and gearbox units are bolted together with a dry, single, plate diaphragm clutch located between the two.
The engine/gearbox unit supports the front and rear suspension systems - there is no motorcycle frame in the conventional sense.
The crankcase is divided vertically and incorporates a wet sump, pressure-fed lubrication system which utilizes a dual-rotor oil pump driven by the auxiliary shaft. An oil filter is externally located on the underside of the crankcase.
To assist engine cooling, oil is pumped to a cooler mounted at the front of the machine, underneath the headlight.
Power from the crankshaft is routed to the transmission input shaft in the gearbox via the clutch. The input shaft has a sprung damper. The transmission is a six-speed constant-mesh unit, and drive to the rear wheel is by shaft via a final drive unit.
This is one of the best-selling manuals available at The Motor Bookstore, and like all Haynes DIY workshop guides, it can help you save money on motorcycle maintenance and repairs.
Every manual is packed with step-by-step procedures and illustrations that guide you through every job, from maintenance and troubleshooting, all the way to complete teardown and rebuild.
Subject: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 BMW R1200GS, GS Adventure, R1200ST, R1200RT, R1200S, R1200R service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0857338889 | ISBN-13: 9780857338884 | Haynes 4598