The 1989-1998 BMW 318, 323, 325, 328, M3 and Z3 repair manual by Chilton covers the following models:
Book Excerpt: 1989-1998 BMW 318, 323, 325, 328, M3, Z3 Repair Manual
- BMW 318i | BMW 318iC | BMW 318iS | BMW 318ti
- BMW 323i | BMW 323iC | BMW 323iS
- BMW 325i | BMW 325iC | BMW 325iS | BMW 325iX
- BMW 328i | BMW 328iC | BMW 328iS
- BMW M3
- BMW Z3
3-16 ENGINE AND ENGINE OVERHAUL
ROCKER ARM/SHAFTS | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Check the rocker shafts for scoring and wear at the rocker arm pivot points. Check the shaft oiling holes for clogging and varnish. Check the bushing in the rocker arm for wear. Check the adjuster eccentric for flat spots. Check the iron pad for wear and looseness. If the iron pad is loose, it will make a ticking or tapping noise when the engine is running.
The Cylinder head must be removed before the rocker arm shafts can be removed. Support the head so it can not move around on the bench.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the cylinder head.
- Mount the head on a suitable holding fixture.
- Remove the camshaft sprocket bolt and remove the camshaft distributer adapter and sprocket. Reinstall the adapter on the camshaft.
- Adjust the valve clearance to the maximum allowable on all valves.
- . Remove the front and rear rocker shaft plugs and lift out the thrust plate.
- Remove the spring-clips from the rocker arms by lifting them off.
- Remove the exhaust side rocker arm shaft:
- Set the No. 6 cylinder rocker arms at the valve overlap position (rocker arms parallel), by rotating the camshaft through he firing order.
- Push in on the front cylinder rocker arm and then turn the camshaft in the direction of the intake rocker shaft, using a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and a deep well socket to fit over the camshaft adapter. Slide each rocker arm to one side as it develops sufficient clearance away from its actuating camshaft and the valve it actuates. Rotate the camshaft until all of the rocker arms are relaxed.
- Remove the rocker arm shaft by driving it or pulling it out.
HALF SHAFT | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION | E30 MODELS
- Remove the rear wheel. Pull out the lock plate and remove the axle nut.
- Remove the constant velocity joint bolts at the final drive output flange.
- Use Tool No. 33 2 110 or equivalent to press the axle through the bearing and out of the vehicle. Do not allow half shaft to drop.
- Place the half shaft through the bearing and pull into place using Tool No. 33 2 110 or equivalent.
- Secure the constant velocity joint bolts at the final drive output flange and torque to 42 ft. lbs. (58Nm).
- Lubricate the axle nut with oil. Torque the axle nut to 145 ft. lbs. (200 Nm) and install the lock plate with Tool Nos. 33 4 050 and 00 5 500 or equivalent. Install the rear wheel.
Subject: 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 BMW 318, 323, 325, 328, M3, Z3 service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 0801990963 | ISBN-13: 9780801990960 | Chilton 18400
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Introduction: About this manual | Introduction | Vehicle identification numbers | Maintenance techniques, tools and working facilities | Buying parts | Jacking and towing | Anti-theft audio system | Booster battery (jump) starting | Conversion factors | Automotive chemicals and lubricants | Safety first! | Troubleshooting
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- Engine and overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams