Find a manual »
Nissan/Datsun 200SX, 510, 610, 710, 810, Maxima Repair Manual 1973-1984
This Chilton repair and service manual, covers 1977-1981 Nissan/Datsun 200SX, 510, 610, 710, 810, and 1973-1984 Nissan Maxima, U.S. and Canadian models.
Book Excerpt: 1973-1984 Nissan/Datsun 200SX, 510, 610, 710, 810, Maxima Repair Manual
DIESEL FUEL SYSTEM
INJECTION PUMP | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
The diesel injection pump is located at the right front side of the engine. In case of pump failure or damage, the pump must be replaced as an assembly, except for certain simple parts on the outside of the pump.
See Figures 17, 18, 19 and 20.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner duct. Remove the engine undercover.
- Drain the engine coolant and then remove the radiator and its shroud.
- Loosen the fan pulley nuts, then remove the drive belts (air conditioning, alternator and power steering pump).
- Disconnect the power steering oil pump and position it out of the way.
- Tag and disconnect the accelerator wire, the overflow hose (on the spill tube side), the fuel cut solenoid connector and the fuel return hose.
- Tag and disconnect the potentiometer, the injector timing control solenoid valve wire, the cold start device water hoses (at the 4-way connector side) and the vacuum hoses for the vacuum modulator (automatic transmission models only).
- Remove the crank damper pulley. Use a plastic mallet and tap lightly around the sides. If this does not loosen the pulley you will need a two-armed gear puller.
- Remove the pulley bracket and the idler pulley (if so equipped) and then remove the front dust cover.
- Loosen the spring set pin, set the tensioner pulley to the free tension position and then tighten them.
- Slide the injection pump drive belt off its pulleys.
- Loosen the retaining nut and remove the injection pump drive gear. You may need a two-armed gear puller.
- Disconnect the injection tubes at the injection nozzle side.
- Unscrew the injection pump fixing nuts and the bracket bolt.
- Remove the injection pump assembly.
- Install the injection pump assembly and bracket in the correct position. Observe the following:
- Set the No. 1 cylinder at TDC (Top Dead Center) of the compression stroke. Make sure that the grooves in the rear plate and the flywheel align and that the No. 1 cam lobe on the camshaft is in the position shown.
- Install the injection pump and temporarily tighten the mounting bolts.
- Use the alignment marks as shown in the illustration and install the injection pump drive gear. Tighten the nut to 43-51 ft. lbs. (59?69 Nm). The injection pump drive shaft is tapered. If the drive gear is difficult to install, use a plastic mallet and drive it into place.
- Make sure that the tensioner pulley is still in the free position and slide the injection drive belt over the pulleys.
- The drive belt should have two timing marks on it. Align one with the mark on the crank pulley and the other with the mark on the drive gear.
If the timing marks on the drive belt are not clear enough to read, set the marks on the drive gear and the crank pulley so that there are 20 cogs of the drive belt between them when it is installed.
CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER | REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the clutch pedal arm from the pushrod.
- Disconnect the clutch hydraulic line from the master cylinder.
- Remove the nuts attaching the master cylinder and remove the master cylinder and pushrod toward the engine compartment side.
- Install the master cylinder in the reverse order of removal and bleed the clutch hydraulic system.
OVERHAUL (See Fig. 26)
- Remove the master cylinder from the vehicle.
- Drain the clutch fluid from the master cylinder reservoir.
- Remove the boot and circlips and remove the pushrod.
- Remove the stopper, piston, cup and return spring.
- Clean all of the parts in clean brake fluid.
- Check the master cylinder and piston for wear, corrosion and scores and replace the parts as necessary. Light scoring and glaze can be removed with crocus cloth soaked in brake fluid.
- Generally, the cup seal should be replaced each time the master cylinder is disassembled. Check the cup and replace it if ii is worn, fatigued, or damaged.
- Check the clutch fluid reservoir, filler cap, dust cover and the pipe for distortion and damage and replace the parts as necessary.
TABLE of CONTENTS:
Introduction: About this manual | Introduction | Vehicle identification numbers | Maintenance techniques, tools and working facilities | Buying parts | Jacking and towing | Anti-theft audio system | Booster battery (jump) starting | Conversion factors | Automotive chemicals and lubricants | Safety first! | Troubleshooting
Subject: 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984 Nissan/Datsun 200SX, 510, 610, 710, 810, Maxima service, maintenance, repair. ISBN-10: 080199070X | ISBN-13: 9780801990700 | Chilton 52302
- Tune-up and routine maintenance
- Engine and overhaul procedures
- Cooling, heating and air-conditioning systems
- Fuel and exhaust systems
- Engine electrical systems
- Emissions control systems
- Suspension and steering systems
- Chassis electrical system
- Wiring diagrams
- Publisher: Chilton Manuals
- Pages: 348 - Hundreds of b&w photos and illustrations
- Binding: Paperback - 8.5 x 11 inches
- ISBN: 978-0-8019-9070-0