This factory service manual reprint covers 1968 Plymouth automobiles, including the following models:
- Valiant 6-cylinder
- Signet 6-cylinder
- Barracuda 6-cylinder
- Barracuda V8
- Belvedere 6-cylinder, V8
- Satellite 6-cylinder, V8
- Sport Satellite V8
- GTX V8
- Fury I, II, III 6-cylinder, V8
- Sport Fury V8
- Fury VIP V8
Complete diagnosis, service and repair procedures for all components and systems indicated. Chrysler Part No. 81-570-8450.
Book Excerpt: 1968 Plymouth Factory Service Manual
426 CUBIC INCH HEMI ENGINE
SERVICE PROCEDURES | TUNE-UP
- Test battery specific gravity, add water if necessary, clean and tighten battery connections.
- Test cranking voltage. See ?Starting Motor Cranking Voltage? Electrical Section of this manual.
- Tighten the intake manifold bolts to specifications.
- Perform cylinder compression test. Compression should not vary more than 30 pounds.
- Clean or replace spark plugs as necessary and adjust gap to .035 inch. Tighten to 30 foot-pounds. Aluminum spark plug tubes serve as spark plug gaskets.
- Test resistance of spark plug cables. Refer to ?Ignition System Secondary Circuit Inspection? Electrical Section.
- Inspect the breaker plate contacts, primary wire and vacuum advance operation. Replace parts as necessary. Refer to Ignition System and make necessary adjustment. Test coil output voltage, primary and secondary resistance. Test Condenser.
- Reset the ignition timing with the vacuum advance line disconnected. The ignition timing should be set to compensate for altitudes and/or gasoline grades.
- Set carburetor idle mixture adjustment. Adjust engine RPM to specifications. Perform a combustion analysis.
- Test the fuel pump for pressure and vacuum. Refer to ?Fuel System? Group 14, Specifications.
- Inspect the manifold heat control valve in the right exhaust manifold for proper operation and apply Manifold Heat Control Valve Solvent Number 1879318 or equivalent to the bushing and shafts.
- Every oil change, remove filter element and blow out dirt gently with air hose. Direct air away from inside out, and keep nozzle 2 inches away from element to avoid damaging. Clean the metal housing and replace the element. Every year install a new factory recommended filter element. Service the unit more frequently when driving under severe conditions, such as in dusty areas.
- Inspect crankcase ventilation system as outlined on page 85.
- Inspect and adjust the accessory belt drives referring to ?Cooling System? Group 7 for proper adjustments.
- Road check vehicle as a final check.
This manual is perfect for the restorer or anyone working on one of these vehicles. Clear illustrations show exploded views as well as component details, plus specs on engine data, engine torque, carburetion, and more.
This is a Chrysler Motors Corporation Licensed Product.
Subject: Transportation: Automotive: 1968 Plymouth service manual. Dave Graham Publ. 68-PLSM.